Wise Solomon and Lucky Penny

Who wouldn't want to be up to date on the cutest babies ever?

Monday, May 22, 2006

Goals

Caption for this photo: What a bruiser! Perhaps he really will play rugby someday (and score a goal), although I don't think the uniforms will be one-piecers.
In compliance with Truth in Advertising, I need to tell you that today's blog entry isn’t really about Solomon, although he does make an appearance and is the underlying force. With that caveat, read on. When I was in hospital to bring Solomon into the world, the nurse asked me my goal for the day so she could write it on the marker board. “How absurd!” I thought. “Like, duh, my goal is to have a baby.” In hindsight, I should have added something to the effect of “without pain.” You can’t expect that for which you don’t ask.
Three months later I’m warming up to the idea of setting goals each morning. Every day last week my goal was to go to the post office and the library. Not because I wanted to do those errands five times, but because I fell short every day. I finally crossed them off the list today. As a matter of fact, I had a huge success in goal accomplishment this morning. To set the scene, last Tuesday I went to get my driver’s license renewed. I purposely waited until after I thought the lunch crowd would be finished. Arriving at 3:00, I had number 119. They were serving number 89. I overheard a gentleman far ahead of me say he’d already been waiting 40 minutes. Egads. I pictured nursing Solomon in the waiting area then made a bee-line for the door. Today I forsook a shower in order to arrive at the Secretary of State at 9:15. Bingo! I was out of there in 11 minutes, giving me the opportunity to fulfill last week’s goals (mentioned above). I think it would be best for everyone if tomorrow I make a goal of taking a shower.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughing that hard brings tears to my eyes too. What joy.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home